When it comes to Christianity, social media is a fascinating and perplexing medium these days. Specifically, I see many Christians posting, Tweeting, and advocating for fellow Christians to “stand up against evil!” or “We need to fight against evil!” On the surface, this emotional “call to arms” appears rational, appropriate, and necessary. However, if we look a bit deeper, things are not exactly what they seem.
Just yesterday, I responded to a few posts and Tweets where the author pleaded for Christians to stand up and fight against “evil.” To which I merely replied: “what do you consider evil?” The responses I received varied from “are you a reprobate? I shouldn’t have to explain this to you!” to “you must be a leftist idiot!” I found all these responses rather peculiar since not one of them expounded on exactly what the “evil” was we’re to be fighting? If I pressed them, I was almost always blocked, unfollowed, or unfriended. So when I dug a bit deeper into these “Christian” accounts, it became clear of what they considered the “pinnacles of evil”:
1. Election fraud (Trump won!)
2. Mask mandates (This is nothing more than Social Control and Communism.)
3 Covid-19 (Hoax. The Democrats used it to destroy the economy.)
4. The vaccine (This is nothing more than mRNA reprogramming.)
5. Biden Inauguration (Illegitimate! And the AntiChrist is most likely going to make an appearance.)
Christians that espouse the list above almost always have a select Bible verse to justify their post/Tweet, so how can you argue with that? Though I do find eisegesis to be disingenuous and disgusting.
As Christians, we do both Christianity and the World a disservice when our political ideology blinds us to the real evils and needs that surround us:
- Poverty (hunger, homelessness, quality daycare) Racism
- Consistent life ethic ( death penalty, abortion, and helping struggling single parents)
- Human trafficking
- Helping prisoners and widows/shut-ins.
This list is not exhaustive, so feel free to add yours to
the comments below.
Blessings to you and yours!